Communications for Smathers Libraries’ faculty and staff
The Director of Communications works collaboratively with library administration, faculty and staff and the UF Foundation, Inc., to offer and coordinate services to enhance the visibility and accurately project the key messages and image of the George A. Smathers Libraries. The director develops and coordinates efforts to disseminate information about the Smathers Libraries to the academic, library and general communities at the local, state and national levels. This includes news releases and feature article writing and distribution, design of digital and printed materials and publications, coordinated outreach activities and response to media queries.
The director serves as editor, writer, designer and photographer of the libraries’ newsletter, News from the Source, and is responsible for upholding the University of Florida’s institutional identity standards.
How the Director of Communications can help you:
When planning an event, workshop, speaker, etc., library faculty and staff are encouraged to involve the Director of Communications early in the planning stages to ensure that adequate time is given to strategically promote library events or new policy notification to both internal and external audiences. Services also include design, production and printing of support materials, event photography and promotional planning.
- Materials to be distributed that are not designed and produced by the Director of Communications should maintain the Libraries’ image and follow UF’s identity standards, such as the UF logo only is used on the front cover of brochures, whether digital or printed. The Libraries logo can be used elsewhere in the publication. One page flyers and posters are exempt.
- All news releases on behalf of the George A. Smathers Libraries are issued by the Director of Communications to maintain consistent media relations.
Examples of how you can work with the Director of Communications:
- Digital and printed publications concept, design and production and printing coordination
including brochures, banners, posters, flyers, postcards, invitations, bookmarks, etc.
- Integrated marketing and promotion planning and scheduling
- Submission to media and other outlets to promote your event or news item
- Event photography
- News release writing and dissemination
- Addition to News and Highlights web page with link on home page under events
- Internal and external communications
- Promotional supplies and resources: check out video camera, table coverings with logo, button maker and easels
- Libraries branded SWAG giveaways for public events
If you would like assistance with a project, event or news item communications or have questions, please contact the Director of Communications.
To request funding for event refreshments open to the public, fill out the Discretionary Fund Request Form.
How the Social Media Specialist can help you:
The Social Media Specialist is available to help promote projects, collections, events, and more in our social media spaces. Library faculty and staff are encouraged to involve both the Director of Communications and the Social Media Specialist early in the planning stages of any request that involves public-facing communication. The Specialist works with the Director of Communications to ensure our social media presence complements our other digital and printed materials. Services the Social Media Specialist offers include design, production, and posting content as it pertains to our events and collections. The Social Media Specialist can also work with you to offer training on best practices related to the platforms we use.
Examples of how you can work with the Social Media Specialist:
- Develop content for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts
- Create and promote Facebook events
- Identify areas and opportunities for cross-departmental collaboration
- Develop training opportunities for departments about social media best practices
- Discuss opening, maintaining, or closing social media accounts
- Live social media coverage of events
- Determining which tools are needed for shared workflows, accessibility, and making platform-specific content
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about any of our social media accounts, please contact email@example.com.