Communications for Smathers Libraries’ faculty and staff
The Director of Communications works collaboratively with library administration, faculty and staff and the UF Foundation, Inc., to offer and coordinate services to enhance the visibility and accurately project the key messages and image of the George A. Smathers Libraries. The director develops and coordinates efforts to disseminate information about the Smathers Libraries to the academic, library and general communities at the local, state and national levels. This includes news releases and feature article writing and distribution, design of printed materials and publications, coordinated outreach activities and response to media queries.
The director serves as editor, writer and designer of the libraries’ newsletter, News from the SOURCE, and is responsible for upholding the University of Florida’s institutional identity standards.
How the Director of Communications can help you:
When planning an event, workshop, speaker, etc., library faculty and staff are encouraged to involve the Director of Communications early in the planning stages to ensure that adequate time is given to strategically promote library events or new policy notification to both internal and external audiences. Services also include design, production and printing of support materials, event photography and promotional planning.
- Materials to be printed and distributed that are not designed and produced by the Director of Communications should maintain the Libraries’ image and follow UF’s identity standards, such as the UF logo only is used on the front cover of brochures. The Libraries logo can be used elsewhere in the publication. One page flyers and posters are exempt.
- All news releases and calendar submissions on behalf of the George A. Smathers Libraries are issued by the Director of Communications to maintain consistent media relations.
Examples of how you can work with the Director of Communications:
- Publication concept, design and production and printing coordination
including brochures, flyers, postcards, invitations, posters, bookmarks, etc.
- Integrated marketing and promotion planning and scheduling
- Submission to media and other outlets to promote your event or news item
- Event photography
- News release writing and dissemination
- Addition to News and Highlights web page with link on home page under events
- Internal and external communications
- Promotional supplies and resources: check out video camera, table coverings with logo, button maker and easels
- SWAG for public events
- To request refreshment funding for public events, please fill out the Discretionary Fund Request Form.
If you would like assistance with a project, event or news item communications or have questions, please contact the Director of Communications.